My Father, My Hero
BY Jase Peeples
June 14 2013 3:00 AM ET
Father of Teen Who Killed Himself to Walk Across America
In April, Joe Bell, the father of a 15-year-old who took his life after enduring antigay bullying, announced he would walk across America in an effort to remind others of what bullying can bring.
Bell's son Jadin (pictured) hanged himself after suffering repeated harassment at his Oregon school.
Bell had announced that his 5,000-mile journey would “be a healing process” as he traveled through the southern states, making several stops along the way to speak at schools about the importance of reporting and taking action against homophobic bullying, before ending in Delaware.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 38 min 5 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM