My Father, My Hero
BY Jase Peeples
June 14 2013 3:00 AM ET
Father of Teen Who Killed Himself to Walk Across America
In April, Joe Bell, the father of a 15-year-old who took his life after enduring antigay bullying, announced he would walk across America in an effort to remind others of what bullying can bring.
Bell's son Jadin (pictured) hanged himself after suffering repeated harassment at his Oregon school.
Bell had announced that his 5,000-mile journey would “be a healing process” as he traveled through the southern states, making several stops along the way to speak at schools about the importance of reporting and taking action against homophobic bullying, before ending in Delaware.
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Will Marriage Equality Cause a Spike in Homeless LGBT Youth?
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?