Will Portman's Coming Out: In His Own Words
BY Neal Broverman
March 25 2013 1:26 PM ET
Will Portman, the son of Ohio Republican senator Rob Portman, shared his coming out story with Yale University's newspaper.
The younger Portman, a junior at Yale, struggled with coming out, finally writing a letter to his parents two years ago.
"[Rob and wife, Jane Portman] called as soon as they got the letter," Portman wrote in the Yale Daily News. "They were surprised to learn I was gay, and full of questions, but absolutely rock-solid supportive. That was the beginning of the end of feeling ashamed about who I was."
The Senator endorsed marriage equality earlier this month, becoming the first Republican senator to do so. Will Portman says his father waitied to make his announcement because he didn't want to make his son's life a political issue or reveal it to the world as he was just coming out to friends and family. Will's sexual orientation was also made clear to Mitt Romney's campaign, which at one point considered Portman as a running mate.
By the end of his piece, Portman makes an impassioned plea for marriage equality and says both sides on the issue should avoid antagonizing each other.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 23 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 27 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM