My Father, My Hero
BY Jase Peeples
June 14 2013 3:00 AM ET
Change of Heart
Rob Portman became the first U.S. Senate Republican to support marriage equality after announcing he’d had “a change of heart” because his son is gay.
“My son came to Jane, my wife, and I, told us that he was gay, and that it was not a choice, and that it's just part of who he is, and that's who he'd been that way for as long as he could remember,” Portman told CNN.
The politician has since withstood criticism from both conservatives who say he's abandoned principles and liberals who want to see action to back up his words of support. His son, Will Portman, said his father's support has meant "the beginning of the end of feeling ashamed about who I was."
Watch the interview below and read the full story here.
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Cute Gay Teen Explains Homosexuality and the Bible
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- San Francisco Mourns Death of Legendary Drag Performer
- Britney Spears Heartfelt Letter to Once Suicidal Gay Fan
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?