N.Y. Assembly OK's Transgender Rights Bill; Will Senate Follow?
BY Trudy Ring
April 30 2012 6:13 PM ET
The New York State Assembly today passed a bill banning discrimination based on gender identity and expression, but its prospects in the Senate are uncertain.
This is the fifth time the Assembly has passed the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act, according to the Empire State Pride Agenda, the statewide LGBT rights group. However, it has stalled in the Senate every time.
The bill passed the Assembly with broad bipartisan support, Pride Agenda reports. The chamber “has consistently set an example on transgender rights, and today is no exception,” said Lynn A. Faria, Pride Agenda’s interim executive director, in a press release. “Now it is time for the State Senate to remedy the patchwork of protections that cover transgender people in localities and counties across the state and pass this statewide law.”
Within the state, cities including Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Ithaca, New York City, and Rochester have passed transgender-inclusive nondiscrimination laws, as have Westchester, Suffolk, and Tompkins counties. Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have similar laws.
Antitransgender discrimination is widespread; in a survey by the National Center for Transgender Equality, 74% of transgender people reported experiencing harassment or mistreatment on the job. Support for nondiscrimination legislation is widespread as well, however, as 78% of New Yorkers are in favor of a transgender civil rights bill, Pride Agenda notes.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM