Going the Distance, Part 4
BY Shawnn Slaughter
February 20 2008 1:00 AM ET
On February 10
during the week following the 26-mile Celebration Run, I
returned to Los Angeles to make the eight-mile Recovery Run.
It was a much more intimate run than the previous
weekend. I rejoined the pace group I ran with the week
before, but there were only four of us. The route took
us past Disney Studios and Warner Bros. in Burbank. Though
the run was quiet and went quickly, Matt and his
serenading were conspicuously absent.
The weather here
in Las Vegas where I live seems to be warming up a bit.
That makes it more tolerable to run outdoors -- where I
prefer to be -- as opposed to running on the treadmill
indoors. In the meantime I continue my work as a
substitute teacher. I work mostly with autism but
lately have considered a change of profession. I love
subbing and working with autistic children, but after
five years I am feeling compassion fatigue. I think I
need a change. I am also busy working on my MBA,
which takes up much of my time.
Running gives me
a break from these things. When I run, I am able to
escape from everything. It’s quite a release. With
less than a month left of training, I don't know what
I will do after the marathon. There are other
marathons as well as shorter runs I can do. But nothing can
compare to the experience of training with the
National AIDS Marathon Training Program.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 8 min 27 sec ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 10 min 59 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 55 min 35 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 22 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 33 min ago