To Dallas Cowboys' Chagrin, Cowboys.com Is a Gay Dating Site
BY Neal Broverman
September 24 2012 1:14 PM ET
Many fans of the Dallas Cowboys are surprised when they visit Cowboys.com and, instead of seeing scores and schedules, encounter a gay dating website.
Back in 2007 the professional football team tried to buy the Cowboys.com URL for $275,000 but lost its bid thanks to an internal miscommunication (it still owns DallasCowboys.com). A group of investors snapped up the URL and recently launched a dating website aimed at gay cowboys (straight cowboy-lovers also welcome).
"Are you a country western cowboy looking for a man to ride into the sunset with?" reads Cowboys.com. "Come and create [a] relationship with singles [who] share your appreciation for the country way of life. You'll be able to find your perfect match here."
It's unclear whether the proprietors of Cowboys.com are leveraging homophobia to land a big payday with the football franchise, which is still interesting in owning the URL. Read more here.
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Folk Singer Janis Ian: Bill Cosby Blackballed Me From TV as a Teen
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The 13 Biggest Trolls in Media