Manti Te’o Hoaxer Tells Dr. Phil He's Gay and Confused
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 30 2013 1:01 PM ET
The man behind the Catfish-style hoax on Notre Dame football player Manti Te’o has told his side of the story to Dr. Phil McGraw. Ronaiah Tuiasosopo told McGraw that Te’o didn't know he was being played. Tuiasosopo told the TV shrink that he's gay and confused, but the feelings and emotions he expressed to Te'o in those years of long distance romance were all true.
Another thing that Tuiasosopo revealed to McGraw is that, as far as he was concerned, he never lied about his feelings when he posed as Te'o's girlfriend, and he said that it was indeed him on the phone with Te'o, thanks to his ability to affect a feminine voice.
"Here's a young man that fell deeply, romantically, in love," McGraw told the Today show.
Watch the Today show report below.
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- REPORT: Bisexuals Face Biphobia at Doctor's Office, LGBT Groups
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut