Manti Te’o Hoaxer Tells Dr. Phil He's Gay and Confused
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 30 2013 1:01 PM ET
The man behind the Catfish-style hoax on Notre Dame football player Manti Te’o has told his side of the story to Dr. Phil McGraw. Ronaiah Tuiasosopo told McGraw that Te’o didn't know he was being played. Tuiasosopo told the TV shrink that he's gay and confused, but the feelings and emotions he expressed to Te'o in those years of long distance romance were all true.
Another thing that Tuiasosopo revealed to McGraw is that, as far as he was concerned, he never lied about his feelings when he posed as Te'o's girlfriend, and he said that it was indeed him on the phone with Te'o, thanks to his ability to affect a feminine voice.
"Here's a young man that fell deeply, romantically, in love," McGraw told the Today show.
Watch the Today show report below.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers