Comments on Pro Footballer's Sexuality Spark Anger, Lead to Apology
BY Trudy Ring
February 08 2013 4:42 PM ET
Fox Sports commentator Chris Rix has apologized for implying his college football teammate Darnell Dockett was gay after his statements became the subject of several enraged tweets by Dockett.
On Jay Mohr’s radio show Wednesday, Rix said that when he and Dockett (now a pro with the Arizona Cardinals) were on the Florida State University football team, “there was always jokes about Darnell and what his preference was,” Deadspin reports. He went on to say, “There were a few stories of ‘Why is Darnell hanging out at this guy’s house or this guy’s dorm room?’”
In a series of Thursday tweets that have since been deleted from Twitter, Dockett called Rix a liar, threatened him, and said no one on the FSU team liked him, according to Deadspin, which published screen grabs. “I swear I my dead mother @coachrix when I see you that’s your ass!” Dockett tweeted.
Rix responded by tweeting, “Apologize about radio show yesterday Dock! … I let it go somewhere it shouldn’t have. My bad.” Dockett did not take it well, tweeting, “Say everything u said on radio in my face!”
Deadspin has audio of the original show, with the conversation about Dockett coming about the 2:30 mark.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- WATCH: Ellen Does Pot Brownies With Matthew McConaughey