Comments on Pro Footballer's Sexuality Spark Anger, Lead to Apology
BY Trudy Ring
February 08 2013 3:42 PM ET
Fox Sports commentator Chris Rix has apologized for implying his college football teammate Darnell Dockett was gay after his statements became the subject of several enraged tweets by Dockett.
On Jay Mohr’s radio show Wednesday, Rix said that when he and Dockett (now a pro with the Arizona Cardinals) were on the Florida State University football team, “there was always jokes about Darnell and what his preference was,” Deadspin reports. He went on to say, “There were a few stories of ‘Why is Darnell hanging out at this guy’s house or this guy’s dorm room?’”
In a series of Thursday tweets that have since been deleted from Twitter, Dockett called Rix a liar, threatened him, and said no one on the FSU team liked him, according to Deadspin, which published screen grabs. “I swear I my dead mother @coachrix when I see you that’s your ass!” Dockett tweeted.
Rix responded by tweeting, “Apologize about radio show yesterday Dock! … I let it go somewhere it shouldn’t have. My bad.” Dockett did not take it well, tweeting, “Say everything u said on radio in my face!”
Deadspin has audio of the original show, with the conversation about Dockett coming about the 2:30 mark.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM