WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 23 2013 4:00 AM ET
As the Boy Scouts of America's National Council today considers reversing its long-standing ban on openly gay youth in scounting's ranks, a new video puts the more than 1,400 voting members in the room as one 19-year-old Eagle Scout revealed to his camp director that he is gay.
Eric Jones had long been an active member of the Boy Scouts and most recently was employed at the organization's annual summer camp in Missouri. Taking to heart the core principles that dictate a scout is "trustworthy and loyal," Jones said he decided to tell the camp director that he is gay. And he caught the leader's reaction on video.
The director, whose face and voice are obscured in the footage below, had a strong, if not wholly unexpected, reaction. The director laments being forced to remove Jones from the program, saying, "I really wish you hadn't done that." The director claims Jones' "lifestyle" isn't a problem for him personally, and so the blame for being kicked out is placed squarely on Jones for having divulged it.
The video, shared exclusively with The Advocate, is part of a larger documentary from filmmaker Ryan James Yezak, titled Second Class Citizens. The film is still in production, and Yezak is seeking funds to complete the documentary and begin screening it — those interested can donate to his campaign here.
Watch video of the coming out moment below.
Watch the moving trailer for Second Class Citizens on the following page.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' Says O'Reilly 5 min 8 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 6 min 7 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 32 min 56 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 1 hour 55 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 1 hour 57 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 1 hour 58 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 2 hours 59 min ago