DeMarco Majors (Actor and out athlete, played pro basketball on the international circuit, wrote, directed, stars in forthcoming movie 7)
• Joe Hawkins, all-American football player from Weber State. He has shown me no matter what life throws at you to always keep your head up and fight the good fight for our people.
• Malcolm Roberts, an accountant and friend. The rare friend who will love you through your struggles even if it means to distance themselves so that you learn life’s lessons.
• Deondray Gossett and Quincy Grossfield, producers of The DL Chronicles. The presence of this couple in our community is so inspiring. Not just their work as producers and writers, but as a same-gender-loving couple with 20 years of hardship, love, and wisdom that they share with each of us.
• James Earl Hardy, author of B-Boy Blues) As a young man hiding from the world, afraid of my addiction, afraid of my severe dyslexia, I read a book by this author that changed my life. One day I met him and he told me he admired my courage and strength, and I was humbled by his presence.
• Doric Wilson, who participated in the Stonewall Riots. I heard him speak and share what happened at Stonewall. The passion was still in his voice even though he was clinging to some of his last moments in life. Doric listened to me next share my story. He was so moved that he said, “You are the reason why I fought ... thank you for being you.” It brings me to tears every time I think of how I was respected by a man that paved the way for me to stand for who I am to become.