Sex Writers Race Bannon and Gloria Brame Share Their Passions
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 09 2012 6:13 PM ET
Gloria Brame, Ph.D. and Race Bannon write about alternative sexualities and relationships in their books. Brame is the author the new series, The Truth About Sex, while Bannon's Learning the Ropes: A Basic Guide to Safe and Fun BDSM Lovemaking is legend among kinksters. They’re also good friends.
Bannon: You write about such a wide range of sexuality and relationship topics. If you could pick one topic about either that you consider of the greatest interest to you, what would it be and why?
Brame: I couldn’t ever commit to only one topic. I’m not a scholar per se, the person who can devote their lives to one quest for knowledge. I’m in it for the war, and eager to fight on different battlefields. So I write and blog about all aspects of sex and sex history. While I’m best known for my work on BDSM, my new books are devoted to examining the history and science of sex. I want to open dialogue about more realistic and humane models of sex and gender.
Bannon: You’re also a sex therapist.
Brame: Yes, I love being a sex therapist. In addition to the personal gratification of seeing clients succeed it’s taught me that there is so much work to be done on sexually educating adults. In that respect, I want to alleviate the unnecessary suffering out there about sexual identity and function and normality, and debunk the myths and illogic that seem to govern our culture. How about you? Learning the Ropes has become a classic text and on every BDSM must-read list. Are there other subjects that draw you?
Bannon: Your timing is impeccable with that question. Although much of my professional life has revolved around the written word, the bulk of my personal writing has focused on alternative sexualities, BDSM in particular. That appears to be changing. I find so much in life fascinating. I've recently begun to write about any topic that appeals to me. My blogs have been my outlet thus far for these writings, but I'm also working on a couple of new books that are completely different than the BDSM subject area covered in Learning The Ropes.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 18 min 14 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 30 min 47 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 44 min 25 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 44 min 30 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 45 min 56 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 57 min 18 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 12 min ago