Sex Writers Race Bannon and Gloria Brame Share Their Passions
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 09 2012 6:13 PM ET
Gloria Brame, Ph.D. and Race Bannon write about alternative sexualities and relationships in their books. Brame is the author the new series, The Truth About Sex, while Bannon's Learning the Ropes: A Basic Guide to Safe and Fun BDSM Lovemaking is legend among kinksters. They’re also good friends.
Bannon: You write about such a wide range of sexuality and relationship topics. If you could pick one topic about either that you consider of the greatest interest to you, what would it be and why?
Brame: I couldn’t ever commit to only one topic. I’m not a scholar per se, the person who can devote their lives to one quest for knowledge. I’m in it for the war, and eager to fight on different battlefields. So I write and blog about all aspects of sex and sex history. While I’m best known for my work on BDSM, my new books are devoted to examining the history and science of sex. I want to open dialogue about more realistic and humane models of sex and gender.
Bannon: You’re also a sex therapist.
Brame: Yes, I love being a sex therapist. In addition to the personal gratification of seeing clients succeed it’s taught me that there is so much work to be done on sexually educating adults. In that respect, I want to alleviate the unnecessary suffering out there about sexual identity and function and normality, and debunk the myths and illogic that seem to govern our culture. How about you? Learning the Ropes has become a classic text and on every BDSM must-read list. Are there other subjects that draw you?
Bannon: Your timing is impeccable with that question. Although much of my professional life has revolved around the written word, the bulk of my personal writing has focused on alternative sexualities, BDSM in particular. That appears to be changing. I find so much in life fascinating. I've recently begun to write about any topic that appeals to me. My blogs have been my outlet thus far for these writings, but I'm also working on a couple of new books that are completely different than the BDSM subject area covered in Learning The Ropes.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM