Spike Lee being considered as director of Rent movie
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 16 2001 12:00 AM ET
The New York Post reports that Spike Lee is negotiating with Miramax Films about directing the film version of the late Jonathan Larsons gritty urban musical, Rent. Lee is a great fan of the stage production and was also on hand for the recent opening of Larsons early, unfinished musical tick, tick...BOOM! The 1988 film School Daze is the directors only movie musical experience so far. Miramax acquired the film rights to Rent, which features a variety of gay characters, in 1996, agreeing at the time not to release a filmed version before fall of 2001 so as to protect international productions of the show. The screenplay will be by Stephen Chobosky (The Four Corners of Nowhere).
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- Lesbian-Led U.S Women Are One Win Away From The World Cup!