Spike Lee being considered as director of Rent movie
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 16 2001 12:00 AM ET
The New York Post reports that Spike Lee is negotiating with Miramax Films about directing the film version of the late Jonathan Larsons gritty urban musical, Rent. Lee is a great fan of the stage production and was also on hand for the recent opening of Larsons early, unfinished musical tick, tick...BOOM! The 1988 film School Daze is the directors only movie musical experience so far. Miramax acquired the film rights to Rent, which features a variety of gay characters, in 1996, agreeing at the time not to release a filmed version before fall of 2001 so as to protect international productions of the show. The screenplay will be by Stephen Chobosky (The Four Corners of Nowhere).
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word