DeGeneres gets raves as Emmy host
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 07 2001 1:00 AM ET
While the 53rd annual nighttime Emmy Awards might have been beaten in the ratings by the seventh game of the World Series, Emmy host Ellen DeGeneres has been getting rave reviews from all quarters. The Media Watch column of The Hollywood Reporter notes that "only two words stood between the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and utter disaster: Ellen DeGeneres," adding that "whatever needs to be done to lock in this woman to host the Emmys for the next five years straight, the TV Academy should do it without delay."
The Practice star Camryn Manheim raved to People.com, "I think Ellen DeGeneres is the very best of our generation. How she handled this evening with such grace and dignity and humor and spirit and sensitivity and humanity makes me want to become a lesbian. I'm madly, madly in love with her!"
Variety's Army Archerd wrote, "One thing seems certain: Following Sunday's Emmys, Ellen DeGeneres could have any show she wants if her current CBS series does not make it (even though she got an order for six more scripts). The standing ovation she received from the Shubert audience must have been echoed by those watching at home."
DeGeneres herself was pleased with her performance: The New York Daily News reports that she told Access Hollywood, "I've always wanted to host the Oscars. I've done the Grammys and the Emmys, and I love doing it. So that's definitely a dream of mine one day."
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM