DeGeneres gets raves as Emmy host
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 07 2001 1:00 AM ET
While the 53rd annual nighttime Emmy Awards might have been beaten in the ratings by the seventh game of the World Series, Emmy host Ellen DeGeneres has been getting rave reviews from all quarters. The Media Watch column of The Hollywood Reporter notes that "only two words stood between the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and utter disaster: Ellen DeGeneres," adding that "whatever needs to be done to lock in this woman to host the Emmys for the next five years straight, the TV Academy should do it without delay."
The Practice star Camryn Manheim raved to People.com, "I think Ellen DeGeneres is the very best of our generation. How she handled this evening with such grace and dignity and humor and spirit and sensitivity and humanity makes me want to become a lesbian. I'm madly, madly in love with her!"
Variety's Army Archerd wrote, "One thing seems certain: Following Sunday's Emmys, Ellen DeGeneres could have any show she wants if her current CBS series does not make it (even though she got an order for six more scripts). The standing ovation she received from the Shubert audience must have been echoed by those watching at home."
DeGeneres herself was pleased with her performance: The New York Daily News reports that she told Access Hollywood, "I've always wanted to host the Oscars. I've done the Grammys and the Emmys, and I love doing it. So that's definitely a dream of mine one day."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM