Piñero,Harring among ALMA winners
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
Piñero, a film biography of bisexual poet-playwright-actor Miguel Piñero, took three top prizes at the 2002 American Latino Media Arts Awards, notes The Hollywood Reporter. The film won Best Picture, along with Best Screenplay (by the film’s director, Leon Ichaso) and Best Actor (Benjamin Bratt). Laura Elena Harring won Best Actress for her portrayal of an amnesiac lesbian in David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive. Showtime’s Resurrection Blvd., which received acclaim for its “coming-out” episode last season, was named Best TV Series, and actor Antonio Banderas, who started his career in the films of out director Pedro Almodóvar, received the Anthony Quinn Award for Achievement in Motion Pictures. Drag-friendly performance artist John Leguizamo was named Entertainer of the Year.
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion