Piñero,Harring among ALMA winners
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 20 2002 11:00 PM ET
Piñero, a film biography of bisexual poet-playwright-actor Miguel Piñero, took three top prizes at the 2002 American Latino Media Arts Awards, notes The Hollywood Reporter. The film won Best Picture, along with Best Screenplay (by the film’s director, Leon Ichaso) and Best Actor (Benjamin Bratt). Laura Elena Harring won Best Actress for her portrayal of an amnesiac lesbian in David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive. Showtime’s Resurrection Blvd., which received acclaim for its “coming-out” episode last season, was named Best TV Series, and actor Antonio Banderas, who started his career in the films of out director Pedro Almodóvar, received the Anthony Quinn Award for Achievement in Motion Pictures. Drag-friendly performance artist John Leguizamo was named Entertainer of the Year.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View