Will Young's album debuts atop U.K. charts while his single falls
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2002 12:00 AM ET
Rival pop idols Gareth Gates and Will Young were knocked off the chart's top slot by Spanish group Las Ketchup, the Official UK Charts Company said Sunday. The pop princes' double A-side of "The Long and Winding Road/Suspicious Minds," a cover of hits from the Beatles and Elvis Presley, respectively, was knocked down to number 3. Las Ketchup's "The Ketchup Song"--a big dance hit in European clubs over the summer--came in straight at the top of the charts ahead of another new entry, "New Direction" from S Club Juniors. But the openly gay Young ruled the album charts, as From Now On opened at number 1, sending Elvis: 30 #1 Hits down to number 3. The Rolling Stones compilation Forty Licks held steady at number 2.
Back on the singles charts, Canadian skate punk Avril Lavigne saw her hit "Complicated" fall one place to number 4, while Pink's "Just Like a Pill" also fell one place, to number 6. At number 5 was another new entry, "All My Life," from Dave Grohl-led rock band Foo Fighters. Australian pop kitten Holly Valance, a former Neighbours television star, saw her single "Down Boy" tumble five places to number 7. At number 8 with "My Vision" was Jakatta, featuring Seal, down two places. "Down 4 U," from rap compilation Irv Gotti Presents: The Inc, slid five places to number 9. Oasis fell three to number 10 with "Little by Little."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 2 hours 51 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM