Queer as Folk's Davies to take on Millionaire scandal
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 09 2003 11:00 PM ET
Variety reports that Russell T. Davies, the openly gay creator of Bob and Rose and the original British Queer as Folk, is writing a screenplay about the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? scandal that rocked the United Kingdom last month. After a monthlong trial, it was determined that contestant Major Charles Ingram, his wife, Diana, and college lecturer Tecwen Whittock had conspired to cheat their way to winning the show's 1 million pound prize. Whittock used coded coughs during the show to signal correct answers to Ingram.
Davies says he is approaching the Millionaire story as a tale of obsession and rivalry. "Like most people...I have been riveted by the unfolding story of this bizarre, doomed, and oddly endearing escapade," said Davies. "I have always loved tales of harebrained eccentrics, and I am having enormous fun working on this story." While the U.K.'s ITV ran a highly rated 90-minute documentary called Millionaire: A Major Fraud, Davies's producer, Celador Films, believes there is still more to be said on the subject. "The documentary revealed the bare facts, but it didn't get inside the heads of the three people involved," said Paul Smith, chairman at Celador. "There is a wonderfully funny and engaging story to be told."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 9 min 28 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 1 hour 49 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 1 hour 58 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 2 hours 41 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM