BY Advocate.com Editors
March 31 2010 3:15 PM ET
The director of a film that has caused controversy for its portrayal of transgender women has said he will change the trailer for the film to exclude actual victims of hate crimes.
Israel Luna told The New York Times Tuesday he was inspired to make the film, Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives, because of injustices done to trans people, including the murders of Angie Zapata in 2008 and Jorge Mercado in 2009.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation issued a call to action last week to get the film pulled from the upcoming Tribeca Film Festival, where it is slated for four screenings. More than 1,100 people signed a petition urging festival programmers to pull the film.
“It seems that the association between their brutal stories and the revenge/thriller content of the film in its entirety has been difficult to connect,” Luna told the Times.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 11 min 10 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 15 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 46 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 50 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 12 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM