Mel's Early Day Antigay Meltdown
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2010 10:00 PM ET
The latest shocking comments from Mel Gibson, in which he hurls racist, misogynistic, and anti-immigrant slurs at his ex-girlfriend, cap a career of tirades that includes a highly publicized homophobic rant and an anti-Semitic outburst.
According to PopEater, long before Gibson could be heard on tape last week threatening Oksana Grigorieva, with whom he had a baby, he made homophobic remarks in 1991. Back then, American columnist Liz Smith reported on what the actor said to the Spanish newspaper El Pais:
"They take it up the a** ... this is only for taking a s***,” he said at the time. "With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?"
Gibson remained defiant and unapologetic for years, until he agreed to peace talks with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, according to PopEater. Coupled with his 2006 DUI arrest and the most recent rampage, plenty of people are wondering whether Gibson’s career is finished.
On Friday, Gibson was dropped by the William Morris-Endeavor agency, after the audio tape of his latest rant was leaked.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 32 min 29 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 33 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 43 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM