Mel's Early Day Antigay Meltdown
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2010 9:00 PM ET
The latest shocking comments from Mel Gibson, in which he hurls racist, misogynistic, and anti-immigrant slurs at his ex-girlfriend, cap a career of tirades that includes a highly publicized homophobic rant and an anti-Semitic outburst.
According to PopEater, long before Gibson could be heard on tape last week threatening Oksana Grigorieva, with whom he had a baby, he made homophobic remarks in 1991. Back then, American columnist Liz Smith reported on what the actor said to the Spanish newspaper El Pais:
"They take it up the a** ... this is only for taking a s***,” he said at the time. "With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?"
Gibson remained defiant and unapologetic for years, until he agreed to peace talks with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, according to PopEater. Coupled with his 2006 DUI arrest and the most recent rampage, plenty of people are wondering whether Gibson’s career is finished.
On Friday, Gibson was dropped by the William Morris-Endeavor agency, after the audio tape of his latest rant was leaked.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM