Mel's Early Day Antigay Meltdown
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2010 10:00 PM ET
The latest shocking comments from Mel Gibson, in which he hurls racist, misogynistic, and anti-immigrant slurs at his ex-girlfriend, cap a career of tirades that includes a highly publicized homophobic rant and an anti-Semitic outburst.
According to PopEater, long before Gibson could be heard on tape last week threatening Oksana Grigorieva, with whom he had a baby, he made homophobic remarks in 1991. Back then, American columnist Liz Smith reported on what the actor said to the Spanish newspaper El Pais:
"They take it up the a** ... this is only for taking a s***,” he said at the time. "With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?"
Gibson remained defiant and unapologetic for years, until he agreed to peace talks with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, according to PopEater. Coupled with his 2006 DUI arrest and the most recent rampage, plenty of people are wondering whether Gibson’s career is finished.
On Friday, Gibson was dropped by the William Morris-Endeavor agency, after the audio tape of his latest rant was leaked.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Greg Louganis on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We All Have Our Own Journeys'