What's Gay About The Golden Globes
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 13 2012 5:07 PM ET
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the nominees for the 2013 Golden Globes Awards this morning, which will air January 13 at 8 p.m. EST on NBC. The awards show will be hosted by 30 Rock's Tina Fey and Parks and Recreation's my Poehler, both of whom are nominated for best actress in a comedy series.
There's plenty of LGBT actors, writers, characters, and plotlines among the nominees. Perhaps the most prominent is out writer Tony Kushner, who is not only nominated for best screenplay, but whose biopic Lincoln earned an impressive seven nominations.
Other notable nominations include Modern Family, once again nominated for best TV comedy, and whose Eric Stonestreet was nominated for best supporting actor for his role as gay dad Cam. Out actor Jim Parsons also scored a nomination for best actor in a TV comedy, as did his show, The Big Bang Theory. Also up for consideration in the Best TV Comedy or Musical category is Smash, penned by gay writers
Out lesbian Sarah Paulson was nominated for best supporting actress for her role as a (literally) tortured lesbian on American Horror Story: Asylum, as is Archie Punjabi, who plays bisexual Kalinda on The Good Wife.
There's an abundance of other gay characters and gay-adjacent nominees, including The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which features a gay main character, and Les Miserables, starring LGBT ally (and sister to a gay brother) Anne Hathaway, among the contenders for best musical or comedy picture.
Read the entire list of nominees on the next page.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 15 min 47 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 23 min 58 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 27 min 35 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 42 min 49 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 50 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM