Here TV's Out in Mumbai Documentary Explores a Changing India
BY Nick Pachelli
March 01 2013 3:44 PM ET
Here TV and Here Online are releasing the groundbreaking documentary Out in Mumbai, recounting the diverse experiences of the LGBT community in one of India’s most vibrant cities.
Director Adele Tulli’s documentary tells the stories of three people who lived through the decriminalization of homosexuality in India. Beena, Pallav, and Abheena travel through Mumbai, heading toward the celebration for the first anniversary of the historic verdict overturning section 377 of the Indian Penal Code.
In 2009 the Delhi High Court passed a landmark judgment repealing section 377 of the code, calling the criminalization of homosexuality unconstitutional. The victory came after 10 years of protest from the LGBT community — and the ramifications of this judgment continue today.
The protagonists in the film endure the fight for equality and visibility in a country that is becoming increasingly torn between tradition and change.
"This special presentation is right in line with one of our primary goals, to show accurate representations of LGBT life and the varied experiences of our LGBT brothers and sisters from around the world," said Josh Rosenzweig, Here TV’s senior vice president of original programming and development. "We are so honored and proud to offer Out in Mumbai to our Here TV audience.”
Out in Mumbai is sure to captivate and illuminate the struggle of fellow activists and the story of their journies toward equality.
View the Out in Mumbai trailer now!
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1 hour 44 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 35 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 2 hours 12 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 22 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM