Here TV's Out in Mumbai Documentary Explores a Changing India
BY Nick Pachelli
March 01 2013 2:44 PM ET
Here TV and Here Online are releasing the groundbreaking documentary Out in Mumbai, recounting the diverse experiences of the LGBT community in one of India’s most vibrant cities.
Director Adele Tulli’s documentary tells the stories of three people who lived through the decriminalization of homosexuality in India. Beena, Pallav, and Abheena travel through Mumbai, heading toward the celebration for the first anniversary of the historic verdict overturning section 377 of the Indian Penal Code.
In 2009 the Delhi High Court passed a landmark judgment repealing section 377 of the code, calling the criminalization of homosexuality unconstitutional. The victory came after 10 years of protest from the LGBT community — and the ramifications of this judgment continue today.
The protagonists in the film endure the fight for equality and visibility in a country that is becoming increasingly torn between tradition and change.
"This special presentation is right in line with one of our primary goals, to show accurate representations of LGBT life and the varied experiences of our LGBT brothers and sisters from around the world," said Josh Rosenzweig, Here TV’s senior vice president of original programming and development. "We are so honored and proud to offer Out in Mumbai to our Here TV audience.”
Out in Mumbai is sure to captivate and illuminate the struggle of fellow activists and the story of their journies toward equality.
View the Out in Mumbai trailer now!
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 36 min 59 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 1 hour 36 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM