4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 7:00 AM ET
Dustin Lance Black, Milk, Best Original Screenplay (2008)
Since he won his Oscar, Black has only focused more on the movement for marriage equality — though recently, he’s been in headlines more often for dating Tom Daley than for his work. But in this shining moment, his work as an activist and as a screenwriter came together in the form of an Oscar acceptance speech. To LGBT kids, Black shared a message of compassion: “You are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value.” He concluded, simply, “Thank God for Harvey Milk.” Black is unique as the only LGBT person on this list, which makes his personal statement all the more powerful.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Will PrEP Make Gay Men Stop Using Condoms?