4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 7:00 AM ET
Dustin Lance Black, Milk, Best Original Screenplay (2008)
Since he won his Oscar, Black has only focused more on the movement for marriage equality — though recently, he’s been in headlines more often for dating Tom Daley than for his work. But in this shining moment, his work as an activist and as a screenwriter came together in the form of an Oscar acceptance speech. To LGBT kids, Black shared a message of compassion: “You are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value.” He concluded, simply, “Thank God for Harvey Milk.” Black is unique as the only LGBT person on this list, which makes his personal statement all the more powerful.
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers