4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 7:00 AM ET
Dustin Lance Black, Milk, Best Original Screenplay (2008)
Since he won his Oscar, Black has only focused more on the movement for marriage equality — though recently, he’s been in headlines more often for dating Tom Daley than for his work. But in this shining moment, his work as an activist and as a screenwriter came together in the form of an Oscar acceptance speech. To LGBT kids, Black shared a message of compassion: “You are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value.” He concluded, simply, “Thank God for Harvey Milk.” Black is unique as the only LGBT person on this list, which makes his personal statement all the more powerful.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf