Cook a Big Gay Thanksgiving
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Candace Walsh's Parmesan-Scallion Mashed Potatoes
makes 8-12 servings
3 pounds russet potatoes
1/2 bunch scallions
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While that's heating up, wash and peel potatoes (or leave the skins on), and cut into uniform slices (about 1 inch thick). Add potatoes to water at rolling boil.
Wash scallions, cut off and discard the root and top ends, and then thinly slice the trimmed stalks crosswise, all the way up. In a skillet, sauté in butter or olive oil and a dash of broth.
When potato pieces are cooked through, drain and add to mixing bowl. Use a mixer on medium speed to mash the potatoes. Then, once they have come to a uniform consistency (lumps are fine), add the parmesan cheese, sauteed scallions, and broth. Blend everything together; add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Excerpted from Licking the Spoon: A Memoir of Food, Family, and Identity by Candace Walsh. Available from Seal Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright 2012.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers