Get Ready to See Thor as You've Never Seen 'Her' Before
BY Ross von Metzke
July 15 2014 8:20 PM ET
Fans of Thor on the big screen are used to seeing the God of Thunder embodied by Australian hunk Chris Hemsworth. And in the comics, he’s known for his massive build and flowing blond locks.
But Thor is getting a makeover. Marvel Comics has confirmed when Thor returns in a new series, it will be as a woman.
“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well, it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow, and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute — she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”
The creator of the new series, Jason Aaron, made it clear in a statement that this is no gimmick. “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”
The announcement was made on Tuesday morning’s episode of The View, with host Whoopi Goldberg joking, “Thor, the God of Thunder, he messed up. He is no longer worthy to hold that damn hammer of his. And for the first time in history, that hammer is being held by a woman.”
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- Ellen DeGeneres and Gap Launch New Clothing Line for Girls That Challenges Stereotypes
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Behind the Scenes of Stonewall