A Gay Airman's Story: Coming Out to Dad, Then Mom
BY Michelle Garcia
September 08 2011 4:00 AM ET
Rolling in the Deep — Military Cover — August 8
You may have been one of the millions who saw a viral YouTube video showing
a group of airmen covering Adele's hit "Rolling in the Deep." It just
so happens that the guy who posted the video was Randy Phillips, on the verge
of coming out to the world.
He is the airman who uploaded the video, using the name AreYouSuprised, an
account where he had also been keeping a vlog on YouTube about being gay in the
military. Soon enough, his military colleagues started to figure out that the
guy who posted the video of the band of singing airmen was also the guy posting
the intimate (yet mostly faceless) vlog posts.
Here is the performance that went viral and changed his life.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality