A Gay Airman's Story: Coming Out to Dad, Then Mom
BY Michelle Garcia
September 08 2011 4:00 AM ET
Rolling in the Deep — Military Cover — August 8
You may have been one of the millions who saw a viral YouTube video showing
a group of airmen covering Adele's hit "Rolling in the Deep." It just
so happens that the guy who posted the video was Randy Phillips, on the verge
of coming out to the world.
He is the airman who uploaded the video, using the name AreYouSuprised, an
account where he had also been keeping a vlog on YouTube about being gay in the
military. Soon enough, his military colleagues started to figure out that the
guy who posted the video of the band of singing airmen was also the guy posting
the intimate (yet mostly faceless) vlog posts.
Here is the performance that went viral and changed his life.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- Santorum Campaign Low on Funds, Losing Staffers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series