Amazon's Gay Spin on the Kindle
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 20 2013 8:09 PM ET
In the latest Kindle Paperwhite TV spot entitled Husbands, a man and woman bond over their e-readers while sunbathing next to one another. The man, fruitlessly tries to read an iPad in the bright beach sun, while the woman calmly reads from her new Kindle Paperwhite. The end of the ad, which normally would have the couple skipping off into the sunset, provides a gay twist when it's revealed that they not only both love reading at the beach, but they both have husbands.
Amazon usually receives high ratings in the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, and founder Jeff Bezos recently donated $2.5 million to marriage equality in the company's home state of Washington, so it's no surprise that they would release this forward-thinking ad for their highest-selling product.
Check out the cute ad below:
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 34 min 3 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 46 min 36 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 14 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 19 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 13 min ago
- Crime PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest 1 hour 22 min ago