Amazon's Gay Spin on the Kindle
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 20 2013 8:09 PM ET
In the latest Kindle Paperwhite TV spot entitled Husbands, a man and woman bond over their e-readers while sunbathing next to one another. The man, fruitlessly tries to read an iPad in the bright beach sun, while the woman calmly reads from her new Kindle Paperwhite. The end of the ad, which normally would have the couple skipping off into the sunset, provides a gay twist when it's revealed that they not only both love reading at the beach, but they both have husbands.
Amazon usually receives high ratings in the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, and founder Jeff Bezos recently donated $2.5 million to marriage equality in the company's home state of Washington, so it's no surprise that they would release this forward-thinking ad for their highest-selling product.
Check out the cute ad below:
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 44 min 42 sec ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM