Amazon's Gay Spin on the Kindle
BY Christopher Rudolph
February 20 2013 8:09 PM ET
In the latest Kindle Paperwhite TV spot entitled Husbands, a man and woman bond over their e-readers while sunbathing next to one another. The man, fruitlessly tries to read an iPad in the bright beach sun, while the woman calmly reads from her new Kindle Paperwhite. The end of the ad, which normally would have the couple skipping off into the sunset, provides a gay twist when it's revealed that they not only both love reading at the beach, but they both have husbands.
Amazon usually receives high ratings in the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, and founder Jeff Bezos recently donated $2.5 million to marriage equality in the company's home state of Washington, so it's no surprise that they would release this forward-thinking ad for their highest-selling product.
Check out the cute ad below:
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media