A Wondrous Debut
BY Eric Henrickson
June 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
I'm glad you brought that up. Former Miss California, Carrie Prejean, has been in the news for her remarks. As a beauty queen yourself, what's your take?What can I say? She's just misinformed. She's young and she believes what she grew up with. They don't speak for my God. I guess they don't really think very much of God, to tell the truth. I don't see how they can put the two together because it's completely judgmental. Who are they? They're the religious police. And they want our country to be run by religious police.
I will say something about "don't ask, don't tell." I think it's important to remember -- as much as I want to see it change, and I do, and I think we have to immediately -- when it was enacted, it was the first year of Clinton's administration, and he got holy hell for doing it. But he could get it passed. Before, any suspicion -- you just wanted to get someone out of the military -- you could get them out. At the time, there was so much homophobia. It was going to demoralize the troops, blah blah blah blah blah. In context of the time, it was a huge step forward. It wasn't a race. It was just some steps forward, and unfortunately we had eight years where there was going to be no forward movement for that.
And now we are in a place where we can move it forward again. And that's what we need to do. I think we can fix it. I like this president. I'm hoping it all works out. It's not going to be perfect, but there's hope that we can fix it.
I have a lot of high horses. I ride them all.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 59 min 1 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 39 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM