A Wondrous Debut
BY Eric Henrickson
June 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
I'm glad you brought that up. Former Miss California, Carrie Prejean, has been in the news for her remarks. As a beauty queen yourself, what's your take?What can I say? She's just misinformed. She's young and she believes what she grew up with. They don't speak for my God. I guess they don't really think very much of God, to tell the truth. I don't see how they can put the two together because it's completely judgmental. Who are they? They're the religious police. And they want our country to be run by religious police.
I will say something about "don't ask, don't tell." I think it's important to remember -- as much as I want to see it change, and I do, and I think we have to immediately -- when it was enacted, it was the first year of Clinton's administration, and he got holy hell for doing it. But he could get it passed. Before, any suspicion -- you just wanted to get someone out of the military -- you could get them out. At the time, there was so much homophobia. It was going to demoralize the troops, blah blah blah blah blah. In context of the time, it was a huge step forward. It wasn't a race. It was just some steps forward, and unfortunately we had eight years where there was going to be no forward movement for that.
And now we are in a place where we can move it forward again. And that's what we need to do. I think we can fix it. I like this president. I'm hoping it all works out. It's not going to be perfect, but there's hope that we can fix it.
I have a lot of high horses. I ride them all.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 14 min 25 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again 1 hour 2 min ago
- Transgender Transgender Woman Alleges Discrimination by Bridal Shop 1 hour 15 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 1 hour 58 min ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 11:20 AM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM