PHOTOS: San Francisco's Epic Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 01 2013 12:33 PM ET
Thousands of LGBT people and their friends, family, and allies, gathered in San Francisco this weekend to celebrate Pride, along with two historic Supreme Court rulings that returned marriage equality to California and struck down a key section of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act that barred the federal government from recognizing legally married same-sex couples.
Media reports from the celebration described the crowd as "ecstatic,"and "colorful," calling the entire celebration "epic." In the wake of a surprise decision from the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reinstating marriage equality in California, the San Francisco clerk's office was staffed all weekend long by volunteers who issued almost 400 marriage licenses to same-sex couples, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Even Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg joined in the celebration, stepping out from Facebook's Silicon Valley headquarters to march alongside 700 Facebook employees in the founder's first Pride parade.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 51 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 51 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM