PHOTOS: San Francisco's Epic Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 01 2013 12:33 PM ET
Thousands of LGBT people and their friends, family, and allies, gathered in San Francisco this weekend to celebrate Pride, along with two historic Supreme Court rulings that returned marriage equality to California and struck down a key section of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act that barred the federal government from recognizing legally married same-sex couples.
Media reports from the celebration described the crowd as "ecstatic,"and "colorful," calling the entire celebration "epic." In the wake of a surprise decision from the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reinstating marriage equality in California, the San Francisco clerk's office was staffed all weekend long by volunteers who issued almost 400 marriage licenses to same-sex couples, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Even Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg joined in the celebration, stepping out from Facebook's Silicon Valley headquarters to march alongside 700 Facebook employees in the founder's first Pride parade.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series