PHOTOS: San Francisco's Epic Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 01 2013 11:33 AM ET
Thousands of LGBT people and their friends, family, and allies, gathered in San Francisco this weekend to celebrate Pride, along with two historic Supreme Court rulings that returned marriage equality to California and struck down a key section of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act that barred the federal government from recognizing legally married same-sex couples.
Media reports from the celebration described the crowd as "ecstatic,"and "colorful," calling the entire celebration "epic." In the wake of a surprise decision from the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reinstating marriage equality in California, the San Francisco clerk's office was staffed all weekend long by volunteers who issued almost 400 marriage licenses to same-sex couples, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Even Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg joined in the celebration, stepping out from Facebook's Silicon Valley headquarters to march alongside 700 Facebook employees in the founder's first Pride parade.
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 5 min 29 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 17 min 27 sec ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 18 min 58 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: An X Factor for Grandma's LGBT Bowling League 5:00 AM