BY Amita Parashar
July 10 2009 12:00 AM ET
Margaret Cho is on location in Georgia, which she says is a bit queer. Known for her hysterically irreverent routines -- often featuring her struggle with body image -- in her new TV series she plays girl friday to Jane (Brooke Elliott), a plus-size lawyer who has the brains but lacks the confidence to succeed in her competitive firm. In the first episode Jane dies and her body is inhabited by the soul of a vapid aspiring model. Cho's character, Teri, is responsible for guiding Jane through the discovery of her new life.
In real life Cho is constantly rediscovering herself, including a new foray into music (her band is called Fag and Hag). She discusses her homophobic gym war and why she should be Miss California.
Advocate.com:How is Peachtree City, Ga., treating you?Margaret Cho: Well, I'm a little disturbed. I have to go to the gym; I have to live here in the city. And it's a nice little town, and everybody's really nice. But at the gym I'm having a big fight, an invisible fight, with people. You know Focus on the Family, the James Dobson organization? They're really hideous. They have all the magazines out on the rack at the gym, and I think this is really disturbing. Every time I go to the gym I bring a bunch of other magazines and stack them so nobody can see them. The problem is now, every time I come back, they're all separated again. So now I go to the gym and I wear anti-Prop. 8 propaganda T-shirts or have girls making out on my shirts. So that's my own way of fighting it. That's a small problem -- well, it's a huge problem, but it's an interesting cultural situation to be out here; it's different.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 40 min 22 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM