BY Advocate Contributors
December 08 2009 5:05 PM ET
The Cracked Xmas event — a mix of music, comedy, fund-raising and confessions from those who credit the project with saving their lives — kicked off with a musical dance number (complete with high kicks) by the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles, perhaps as a tribute to Harris’s work on Broadway.
The event included presenters and emcees from all sides of Hollywood, including Khloe and Kim Kardashian, Survivor host and Harris’s longtime friend Jeff Probst, Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet and Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and Glee’s Chris Colfer, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, and Cory Monteith as well as a performance by Grammy-nominated singer Vanessa Carlton.
Adding more star power, the Trevor Project debuted a new public service announcement starring Harry Potter himself, Daniel Radcliffe, who donated $25,000-plus to the nonprofit this year.
AT&T was also honored for its diversity and philanthropic efforts; this marks the first time the company has been recognized by a national LGBT organization.
The event, which hosted 1,200 guests, serves as the nonprofit’s largest annual fund-raiser, which was highlighted by a live auction. Up for grabs: walk-on roles in How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family and a VIP Harry Potter premiere package, which sold for $10,000.
“Cracked Xmas is always an incredible reminder about the myriad of enthusiastic supporters we’re lucky to have at the Trevor Project, and it’s also an affirmation that so many people care deeply about our mission to save young lives,” said Charles Robbins, executive director and CEO of the organization. “We enjoyed an amazing, star-studded show and heard from and honored some inspiring people and organizations in the process. Last night we saw old and new friends come together in support of the Trevor Project and LGBTQ youth, and we’re very grateful for that.”
When it came time for Harris to accept his award, the actor from small-town New Mexico talked about his private and public coming-out and the need for the services provided by the Trevor Project. “Being the real, authentic me has turned out quite swell,” he said. “This lifetime award makes me feel both proud and very old ... I stand before you humbled, yet looking very dapper.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 15 min 17 sec ago
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM