Richard Chamberlain: Sibling Revelry
BY Brandon Voss
December 21 2010 8:10 PM ET
It was widely reported in April that you had split from Martin Rabbett, your partner of more than 30 years, and had moved to Los Angeles from your shared home in Hawaii. How are you doing?
Well, we haven’t really split. In other words, we’re still very, very close. The essence of our relationship has remained the same; we just don’t happen to be living together. I went home for Thanksgiving and had the most wonderful time, and we’ll be spending Christmas together with friends in New York. So we’re not split, really. I just moved to L.A. because I wanted to work more. Martin, unfortunately, doesn’t like L.A. at all, but he’s thinking of moving to San Francisco.
Wow. I thought you were newly single and looking.
At 76? You’ve got to be kidding.
The press spun this alleged breakup as having stemmed from your renewed career ambition. I’m surprised that you didn’t respond to that media attention with some sort of official statement.
I had no idea that the media was interested at all. Well, I guess I was aware of one report, but I don’t look at the Internet much.
Back in the ’90s, in response to rumors that you’ve had several face-lifts, you publicly said you’d give $10,000 to any plastic surgeon who could find the surgical scars to prove it. Has anyone ever taken you up on that bet?
No, no one has. Because the other side of it is that if you don’t find anything, then you have to give me $10,000. I think it would be fun to go on a talk show and have some famous plastic surgeon come examine the backs of my ears. The offer is still on the table.
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 1 hour 33 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 59 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM