WATCH Queen Latifah in Steel Magnolias Trailer
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 03 2012 11:20 AM ET
"No one blossoms alone" is the tag line of Lifetime's redo of the tearjerker about the power of female friendships, Steel Magnolias, headlined by Queen Latifah, Phylicia Rashad, and Alfre Woodard.
Latifah, who stars as M'Lynn, also serves as co-executive producer, along with producing team Neil Meron and Craig Zadan, with whom she collaborated on Chicago and Hairspray. Rashad and Woodard will costar as bickering longtime friends Clairee and Ouiser, respectively. Grammy winner Jill Scott will play beauty shop owner Truvy, Pariah's Adepero Oduye has been cast as her awkward protogee Annelle, while Tony Award-nominated Condola Rashad, daughter of Phylicia, will play the pivotal role of Shelby.
The 1989 film, adapted from Robert Harling's autobiographical play, is a favorite of LGBT viewers. "We believe the movie is about community ... and it's a community of all types who fit together by a commonality of family," Meron said to The Advocate when the project was first announced. "Very much like the gay community. We think that there are a lot of elements that gay viewers can relate to, with these ladies hanging together, growing together and dealing with the eccentricities of life and the strength they must face when there is a death among them at such an early age."
Lifetime has yet to announce the broadcast date for the film.
Watch the trailer below.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 13 min 47 sec ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 14 min 58 sec ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 1 hour 16 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM