Is Lily Tomlin Retiring?
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 30 2012 11:54 AM ET
Veteran entertainer Lily Tomlin loves her "
audacious, outrageous" character in the fall sitcom Malibu Country, but suggests the project may be her last.
Tomlin, who stars as Lillie Mae, the free-sprited, pot-smoking mother of Reba McEntire's aging country singer in the ABC series, says during last week's TCA panel that she accepted the role because she's been "very taken with Reba for a long time." The comic-actress, who won an Academy Award nomination for the 1975 classic Nashville, also seized the opportunity to play such a vivid character.
"I thought this character would be an opportunity… Lillie Mae's part was to be audacious, outrageous, to say it like it was," Tomlin says. "She's willing to experiment and try anything, where Reba is kind of shut down. Lillie Mae's anything but. I hope she'll even be a bad influence on the kids. I can see her getting involved in anything in the world."
Then the still-energetic 72-year-old drops a bombshell, which we hope is a joke.
"This will probably be my last project before I go to the motion picture home," Tomlin shares. “And I think that’s appropriate.”
Watch the trailer for Malibu Country below.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM