BY Advocate Contributors
March 17 2010 7:25 PM ET
Broadway performer Nick Adams rose to fame when he was named Best Body on Broadway while costarring with Mario Lopez in A Chorus Line. Now Adams is in rehearsals for the revival of La Cage Aux Folles, which begins previews April 6. Check back to Advocate.com over the next several weeks as Adams shares photos and stories from behind the scenes as he gears up for opening night.
Rehearsals began March 1 with a meet-and-greet, some press photos, a rundown from producers on why this masterpiece of a show is being mounted again, and a look at the clever set design. We, of course, got down to brass tacks and began learning vocals, had a read-through, and I spent an hour being transformed from the neck up into a Cagelle. Dancing didn't begin until the second day, which of course included heels. Most of us are rehearsing in a three-inch character shoe. I'm not unfamiliar with drag, as I made my Broadway debut as a drag queen in Chicago, but this is a whole new experience. The personalities of the Cagelles are larger than life, and perhaps larger than the studio we were rehearsing in, as we moved to a much larger private space for the second week.'
- Adams, Fierstein, and his fellow Cagelles. Photo courtesy of Walter McBride for BroadwayWorld.com
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- Members of Congress to Antigay Nations' Diplomats: Leave Your Spouse Home
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- Newspaper Editor Fired for Antigay Blog Post Settles Discrimination Complaint