BY Brandon Voss
October 19 2010 10:10 AM ET
T.R. Knight can often be seen walking around New York holding hands with his honeymoon-period boyfriend. One can now catch the ex-Grey’s Anatomy star holding his own — against costar Patrick Stewart, that is — in a satisfying revival of David Mamet’s 1977 two-hander A Life in the Theatre, which ends January 2 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre. Stewart, who’ll always be Sterling in Jeffrey to me, plays Robert, a magniloquent stage vet, to Knight’s newbie, John, in a series of backstage and slapsticky play-within-a-play scenes Robert might describe as “just like a little walnut ... meaty on the inside and tight all around.” Robert’s barely concealed envy of his young frenemy may or may not be rooted in attraction, but their vaguely homoerotic tension comes to a rather obvious head when John awkwardly fixes Robert’s broken zipper with a safety pin.
When George Bernard Shaw’s 1893 drama first opened on Broadway in 1905, The New York Times called Mrs. Warren’s Profession “revolting, indecent, and nauseating, where it was not boring.” Now being revived by Roundabout through November 28 at the American Airlines Theatre, it’s mostly just boring. Though the words are amazingly never uttered, it turns out Kitty Warren made her fortune as — spoiler alert! — a prostitute turned high-class madam, much to the horror and reluctant admiration of her educated daughter. Director Doug Hughes handles the attractive but dusty revival with Victorian-lady gloves, but it’s still a must-see for Miss Cherry Jones, who, with Cockneyed Mae West flair, simply rivets in her two big monologues that defend her sordid career. Gay character actor Edward Hibbert appears in a thankless supporting role.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM