Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2010
BY Brandon Voss
November 16 2010 6:15 PM ET
Miss Congeniality’s Heather Burns, The Mary Tyler Moore Show’s Georgia Engel, As the World Turns heartthrob Michael Park, and Linus Roache, who played a gay man of God in Priest, are among the many world-weary inhabitants of Will Eno’s Middletown, which runs through December 5 at the Vineyard Theatre. Like Thornton Wilder’s Our Town through a fun house mirror darkly, this unapologetically grandiloquent meditation on life and death, at once sage and syrupy, links neighbors and strangers by their philosophical self-awareness and poetic articulation of the unbearable lightness of being. This master class in existential insight may seem a bit heavy-handed — a sapling is planted, an astronaut regards Earth from space, someone dies in a hospital as someone gives birth down the hall — but it never feels ham-fisted, thanks to Eno’s clever wordplay and twisted sense of humor.
Taking off with a chilling high-altitude crisis that recalls Karen Black’s terror in Airport 1975 and Lee Grant’s fate in Airport ’77, Beau Willimon’s Spirit Control runs its course December 5 at Manhattan Theatre Club’s Stage I. A superb Jeremy Sisto stars as Adam, an air-traffic controller who must talk an unseen passenger named Maxine through an emergency landing when the pilot of her plane has a heart attack. The rest of the play swerves from mundane to surreal as Adam’s marriage nosedives when he becomes obsessed with an enigmatic woman — also named Maxine — who may not really exist. Brian Hutchinson, who played gay opposite Valerie Harper in Looped, costars here as Adam’s wife-swiping coworker, and the very appealing Aaron Michael Davies, who omits Another Gay Sequel: Gays Gone Wild! from his Playbill bio, appears as Adam’s unpleasant teenage son.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 32 min 18 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 46 min 14 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 47 min 13 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 49 min 3 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 1 hour 14 min ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 1 hour 15 min ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 2 hours 16 min ago