Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for July 2012
BY Brandon Voss
July 26 2012 6:00 AM ET
Closer Than Ever
Decidedly grownup issues like parenthood, second marriages, and mortality get earnestly euphonious attention in this essential revival of the intimate 1989 musical revue by David Shire and director Richard Maltby Jr., underappreciated authors of Baby, Big, and Starting Here, Starting Now. By the show’s finale, the four appealing performers — Jenn Colella, George Dvorsky, Christiane Noll, and Sal Viviano — feel like good old friends.
York Theatre at Saint Peter’s, through August 25.
Kenneth Lin’s sharp and tense three-character drama rattles closeted skeletons and airs out dirty backroom dealings when a Chinese-American assemblyman, a religious ex-Marine dubbed “the Republican Obama” by Sean Hannity, makes a bid for Congress. Ugly Betty’s David Rasche is terrific as a shady, flustered campaign strategist trying to hush the politician’s college ex, a housewife who recalls him as a suicidal stalker.
Second Stage Uptown, through August 11.
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- TV: Several LGBT Characters Missing Next Season
- The Story of How Jason Collins Came Out to His Twin Brother
- Game of Thrones Recap: The Diana Ross Treatment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM