HIV-Positive Occupy Protester Who Got Punched: "That Cop Should Get Tested"
BY Michelle Garcia
October 14 2011 4:56 PM ET
A police officer was caught on camera assaulting an HIV-positive protester involved in the Occupy Wall Street movement Friday.
Felix Rivera-Pitre told Gothamistthat he was walking past a police officer on William Street in Lower Manhattan, and admitted that he "shot the cop a look." In reaction, the officer lunged at Rivera-Pitre and hit him on the left side of his face.
"It tore my earring out," he said in the report. "I remember seeing my earring on the ground next to me, and it was full of blood. I was dumbstruck. I'm HIV positive, and that cop should get tested."
Despite his concern, HIV is typically transmitted by unprotected penetrative sex with an infected person, the sharing of IV drugs, or medically receiving contaminated blood products or organs, according to Avert.
Watch the scuffle below:
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 2 hours 4 min ago
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 2 hours 34 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM