HIV-Positive Occupy Protester Who Got Punched: "That Cop Should Get Tested"
BY Michelle Garcia
October 14 2011 4:56 PM ET
A police officer was caught on camera assaulting an HIV-positive protester involved in the Occupy Wall Street movement Friday.
Felix Rivera-Pitre told Gothamistthat he was walking past a police officer on William Street in Lower Manhattan, and admitted that he "shot the cop a look." In reaction, the officer lunged at Rivera-Pitre and hit him on the left side of his face.
"It tore my earring out," he said in the report. "I remember seeing my earring on the ground next to me, and it was full of blood. I was dumbstruck. I'm HIV positive, and that cop should get tested."
Despite his concern, HIV is typically transmitted by unprotected penetrative sex with an infected person, the sharing of IV drugs, or medically receiving contaminated blood products or organs, according to Avert.
Watch the scuffle below:
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 18 min 49 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 38 min 55 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 2 hours 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM