HIV-Positive Occupy Protester Who Got Punched: "That Cop Should Get Tested"
BY Michelle Garcia
October 14 2011 5:56 PM ET
A police officer was caught on camera assaulting an HIV-positive protester involved in the Occupy Wall Street movement Friday.
Felix Rivera-Pitre told Gothamistthat he was walking past a police officer on William Street in Lower Manhattan, and admitted that he "shot the cop a look." In reaction, the officer lunged at Rivera-Pitre and hit him on the left side of his face.
"It tore my earring out," he said in the report. "I remember seeing my earring on the ground next to me, and it was full of blood. I was dumbstruck. I'm HIV positive, and that cop should get tested."
Despite his concern, HIV is typically transmitted by unprotected penetrative sex with an infected person, the sharing of IV drugs, or medically receiving contaminated blood products or organs, according to Avert.
Watch the scuffle below:
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM