HIV-Positive Occupy Protester Who Got Punched: "That Cop Should Get Tested"
BY Michelle Garcia
October 14 2011 5:56 PM ET
A police officer was caught on camera assaulting an HIV-positive protester involved in the Occupy Wall Street movement Friday.
Felix Rivera-Pitre told Gothamistthat he was walking past a police officer on William Street in Lower Manhattan, and admitted that he "shot the cop a look." In reaction, the officer lunged at Rivera-Pitre and hit him on the left side of his face.
"It tore my earring out," he said in the report. "I remember seeing my earring on the ground next to me, and it was full of blood. I was dumbstruck. I'm HIV positive, and that cop should get tested."
Despite his concern, HIV is typically transmitted by unprotected penetrative sex with an infected person, the sharing of IV drugs, or medically receiving contaminated blood products or organs, according to Avert.
Watch the scuffle below:
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- #TBT: Greetings, Gents
- Everything You Need to Know So Far About Marriage Equality in Utah
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'