What Mitt Romney Could Learn About Equality From the Marriott
BY Lucas Grindley
June 13 2012 3:48 PM ET
Mitt Romney could learn a few things from Marriott — where he was once a member of the board.
BuzzFeed points out a new marketing campaign from the hotel chain called "Be You, With Us." The campaign is posted at Marriott.com/Pride and is part of Pride month.
Romney has twice served as a member of the corporate board for Marriott, which is Mormon-owned. And NPR reports that hotel owners J.W. and Richard Marriott have given more than $1 million to support the Romney campaign, with much more donated to mostly Republicans in congressional races.
But the company has a long history of supporting LGBT rights that has it scoring highly on the Corporate Equality Index from the Human Rights Campaign.
"We are proud of this campaign and of our long-standing reputation for our commitment to diversity and inclusion," said Joanna Todd, a Marriott vice president in a statement announcing the new ad campaign. "Our core strength lies in our ability to embrace differences and make everyone feel respected and valued when they visit and stay in our hotels."
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- Obama Cracks Marriage Equality Jokes at White House Correspondent's Dinner
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- Bruce Jenner's Republican Revelation Draws Anger, Praise
- Drag Race Star Miss Fame Releases 'Rubber Doll' Music Video