What Mitt Romney Could Learn About Equality From the Marriott
BY Lucas Grindley
June 13 2012 3:48 PM ET
Mitt Romney could learn a few things from Marriott — where he was once a member of the board.
BuzzFeed points out a new marketing campaign from the hotel chain called "Be You, With Us." The campaign is posted at Marriott.com/Pride and is part of Pride month.
Romney has twice served as a member of the corporate board for Marriott, which is Mormon-owned. And NPR reports that hotel owners J.W. and Richard Marriott have given more than $1 million to support the Romney campaign, with much more donated to mostly Republicans in congressional races.
But the company has a long history of supporting LGBT rights that has it scoring highly on the Corporate Equality Index from the Human Rights Campaign.
"We are proud of this campaign and of our long-standing reputation for our commitment to diversity and inclusion," said Joanna Todd, a Marriott vice president in a statement announcing the new ad campaign. "Our core strength lies in our ability to embrace differences and make everyone feel respected and valued when they visit and stay in our hotels."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 8 min 58 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 18 min 49 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 28 min 14 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again 1 hour 16 min ago
- Transgender Transgender Woman Alleges Discrimination by Bridal Shop 1 hour 29 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 2 hours 12 min ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 11:20 AM