General Mills Execs Take Stand Against Minnesota Marriage Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
June 14 2012 12:50 PM ET
The corporate leaders of General Mills are going to bat for gay rights, as proponents of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, as well as condemning a proposed ballot initiative to ban marriage equality.
Ken Charles, the company's vice president of diversity and inclusion, testified before the U.S. Senate to support ENDA. Now the executive has written an extensive post on the company's blog about General Mills CEO Ken Powell's short but insightful words about the marriage amendment in Minnesota, where the company is based.
"I am proud to see our company join the ranks of local and national employers speaking out for inclusion," Charles wrote Thursday. "We do not believe the proposed constitutional amendment is in the best interests of our employees or our state economy – and as a Minnesota-based company we oppose it. We value diversity. We value inclusion. We always have ... and we always will. We’re proud of our workplace, and we’re proud to be a leader for diversity and inclusion in our community. For decades, General Mills has worked to create an inclusive culture that welcomes and values the contributions of all."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM