General Mills Execs Take Stand Against Minnesota Marriage Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
June 14 2012 1:50 PM ET
The corporate leaders of General Mills are going to bat for gay rights, as proponents of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, as well as condemning a proposed ballot initiative to ban marriage equality.
Ken Charles, the company's vice president of diversity and inclusion, testified before the U.S. Senate to support ENDA. Now the executive has written an extensive post on the company's blog about General Mills CEO Ken Powell's short but insightful words about the marriage amendment in Minnesota, where the company is based.
"I am proud to see our company join the ranks of local and national employers speaking out for inclusion," Charles wrote Thursday. "We do not believe the proposed constitutional amendment is in the best interests of our employees or our state economy – and as a Minnesota-based company we oppose it. We value diversity. We value inclusion. We always have ... and we always will. We’re proud of our workplace, and we’re proud to be a leader for diversity and inclusion in our community. For decades, General Mills has worked to create an inclusive culture that welcomes and values the contributions of all."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 45 min 47 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 49 min 32 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 11 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 2 hours 40 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM