Idaho Bar Boycotts Pepsi, MillerCoors For Being Pro-Gay
BY Charles Hicks
July 19 2012 6:09 PM ET
Though many restaurants must make the fated decision of Coke or Pepsi, one Idaho bar decided against Pepsi for ideological reasons.
The Waha Bar & Grill of Lewiston announced it is boycotting PepsiCo as well as MillerCoors products until the companies end their involvement in the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
"MillerCoors, Pepsico, and many other companies have taken a political stance by becoming corporate founders of the NGLCC," said owners Mike and Mari Fuller in a statement on the restaurant's website. "While we believe in the importance of voting at the booth on Election Day, we also believe in voting with the dollars we spend. We are Christians who do not believe in supporting the goals and the politicians who support the goals of the NGLCC."
The restaurant will continue to serve Coca-Cola products, however, even though the Coca-Cola Company received a perfect score of 100 in the Human Rights Campaign's Buyer's Guide for the sixth year in a row in 2011. The Buyer's Guide measures business's workplace policies toward LGBT employees. MillerCoors also received a perfect score in 2011. PepsiCo received a score of 95.
The bar's owners also include a list of more than 100 member companies of the NGLCC on their website and invite others to boycott the companies. The list includes big names such as Wells Fargo, Target, and IBM.
The NGLCC was founded in 2002, and, according to its website, "is committed to forming a broad-based coalition of LGBT owned and friendly businesses, professionals, and major corporations for the purpose of promoting economic growth and the prosperity of our members."
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 13 min 57 sec ago
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 56 min 40 sec ago
- Politics S.C. House OKs Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 1 hour 6 min ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 1 hour 33 min ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 1 hour 40 min ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 52 min ago