Want to Live in Grey Gardens? You Can Now
BY Neal Broverman
February 02 2013 1:00 PM ET
The Hamptons mansion made famous by the documentary Grey Gardens, a gay classic since its release in 1975, is now for rent.
Grey Gardens was the dilapidated Long Island home of Edith "Big Edie" Bouvier Beale and her daughter Edith "Little Edie" Bouvier Beale, the aunt and first cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, respectively. The Beales were living in squalor, with raccoons, cats, and detritus filling the house, when the Maysles brothers filmed their documentary. The straight-talking Big Edie and eccentric Little Edie became cult favorites with their heart-wrenching story of broken dreams among the nation's bourgeoisie. The documentary was turned into a Broadway musical starring Christine Ebersole and a HBO film starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.
Grey Gardens has been lovingly refurbished, with 10 bedrooms, 6.5 bathrooms, and a pool. The home is available in June and July for only $125,000. Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM