BY Advocate Contributors
September 20 2010 11:40 PM ET
Some years ago, even before beginning my professional career, I had already lived on three continents. Traveling the world can certainly be habit forming.
For many of us, travel is not just a lifetime passion, but part and parcel of the work which defines us. Perhaps it’s no surprise to you that I am a proud member of the leadership team at American Airlines, where my mission is to insure that our route network, airplanes, products, and services meet the needs, expectations, and indeed demands of our customers worldwide. Deep down inside, I believe that the work we do every day helps make the world a smaller place by breaking down barriers, connecting people, and promoting diversity.
In my role, I always view the travel experience through the eyes of the customer. In this past year alone, I have traveled hundreds of thousands of miles to meet business partners, colleagues, family, and friends in cities across Asia, Europe, and the Americas.
I am fortunate to be able to work with gifted teams of professionals from all walks of life, who make it possible for us to take our customers comfortably where they want to go. Our diverse workforce is one of our best and most important assets in serving the daily needs of millions of loyal customers, including members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.
Each of us embodies many differences and characteristics that make us unique. Yet more important is what we have in common: respect for the individual and a long standing commitment to valuing everyone we employ and serve.
American Airlines knows that promoting diversity and inclusion is a never ending journey, and that we must weave that commitment into the very fabric of our work so that it is evident every day. Ours is a journey that encompasses the globe, but leads us always towards respect, equality, and understanding.
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM