BY Advocate Contributors
September 20 2011 4:00 AM ET
All of us at American Airlines take pride in our longstanding commitment to diversity, inclusion and equality, and we are proud to be a Titanium Sponsor at this yearâ€™s Out & Equal Workplace Summit. As the only airline to earn a 100% score on the Corporate Equality Index since its inception, we are reminded every day of our aspirations for our workforce and our obligations to each customer.
As Americanâ€™s Vice President for Diversity Leadership, and Engagement, I know first-hand that our business decisions and workplace policies are guided by the contributions of our sixteen Employee Resource Groups, including our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender leaders at GLEAM.
Established in 1994, GLEAM helps us ensure workplace policies are progressive and inclusive â€“ more recent enhancements include the addition of Gender Reassignment Benefits and the inclusion of Family Medical Leave of Absence to care for domestic partners.
Through these efforts, we align our commitment to customer and employee diversity with our business strategies. Today, our global route network and joint businesses demand learning new languages and customs, as well as a deeper investment in our cultural understanding, competency and cooperation with our global business partners. Thus, diversity, inclusion and equality are values that are also business imperatives benefitting our customers.
Recognizing that American is a leader in embracing and fostering equality, we are also committed to supporting the LGBT community and advocacy. Two years ago, we were honored to testify on Capitol Hill about our experience offering equal benefits to our workforce. This year, we have again signed a letter of support to Congress endorsing passage of ENDA, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
We know that valuing diversity, inclusion and equality is a journey. While these values already permeate every aspect of Americanâ€™s business, there are always new opportunities to embrace. We look forward to continuing to serve you, our loyal customers, in the future.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because Weâ€™re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 2 hours 25 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because Weâ€™re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM