Op-ed: How I Married 110 Same-Sex Couples
BY Marilee Harrison
September 17 2013 5:05 AM ET
It is simply beyond me how anyone could oppose the commitment of people who love each other. Perhaps this wouldn’t have an impact, but I wish they could experience the warmth and exuberance jam-packed into that room and that day. I wish they could see the couple that waited through 46 years of togetherness for the chance to marry. Who could say no while looking into their eyes, filled with tenderness? And why not laugh out loud when thanks comes with the qualification that “we knew you were the right person when we saw your purple shoes.” A few quiet moments with loving parents caring for a young child was perfection itself. The silk flowers borrowed from a restaurant for bouquets were precious. Every person was engaging, every moment consequential.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner
- Right-Wing Ad: Marriage Equality Will Cause Freedom's 'Extinction'
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'