Dharun Ravi Heads to Jail, Apologizes
BY Michelle Garcia
May 29 2012 7:57 PM ET
The former Rutgers University student who was sentenced to 30 days in prison on bias intimidation and other charges for use of a hidden webcam to spy on his gay roommate during an intimate act, apologized for his behavior.
CNN reports that Ravi said he regrets the "thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid, and childish choices" that provoked his roommate, Tyler Clementi, 18, to commit suicide by jumping off of the George Washington Bridge. Ravi apologized in a written statement Tuesday and also announced that he was heading to jail tol begin his 30-day sentence. He was also sentenced to three years of probation, 300 hours of community service, and paying $11,000 in restitution.
Prosecutors have said they plan to appeal Ravi's sentence.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain 4 min 58 sec ago
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 1 hour 39 min ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 2 hours 3 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM