Dharun Ravi Heads to Jail, Apologizes
BY Michelle Garcia
May 29 2012 6:57 PM ET
The former Rutgers University student who was sentenced to 30 days in prison on bias intimidation and other charges for use of a hidden webcam to spy on his gay roommate during an intimate act, apologized for his behavior.
CNN reports that Ravi said he regrets the "thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid, and childish choices" that provoked his roommate, Tyler Clementi, 18, to commit suicide by jumping off of the George Washington Bridge. Ravi apologized in a written statement Tuesday and also announced that he was heading to jail tol begin his 30-day sentence. He was also sentenced to three years of probation, 300 hours of community service, and paying $11,000 in restitution.
Prosecutors have said they plan to appeal Ravi's sentence.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 4 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM