Trans Woman Sexually Assaulted In D.C.
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 26 2012 6:36 PM ET
The Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, D.C. is searching for a man who sexually assaulted and robbed a transgender woman on Sunday. The assault happened around 4:45 a.m., when a man approached the woman, hit her, and forced her at gunpoint behind a building on the 200 block of 51st St. Northeast, where he sexually assaulted her, according to The Washington Times.
Initial reports do not indicate the victim was targeted because she is transgender, but this is the latest in a string of assaults on trans people in the nation's capital. The District of Columbia Office of Human Rights recently launched a campaign intended to raise awareness and curb violence against transgender people.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 51 min 25 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM