Trans Woman Sexually Assaulted In D.C.
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 26 2012 5:36 PM ET
The Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, D.C. is searching for a man who sexually assaulted and robbed a transgender woman on Sunday. The assault happened around 4:45 a.m., when a man approached the woman, hit her, and forced her at gunpoint behind a building on the 200 block of 51st St. Northeast, where he sexually assaulted her, according to The Washington Times.
Initial reports do not indicate the victim was targeted because she is transgender, but this is the latest in a string of assaults on trans people in the nation's capital. The District of Columbia Office of Human Rights recently launched a campaign intended to raise awareness and curb violence against transgender people.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM