Oklahoma: Convicted Rapist Wants Trans Medical Care
BY Michelle Garcia
February 19 2013 7:20 PM ET
A convicted rapist currently imprisoned in Oklahoma said she wants the state to pay for laser hair removal, hormone treatment, and counseling, as part of her transition procedure.
The inmate, identified as Ronny Edward Darnell or Phoebe Halliwell, filed a lawsuit in federal court last year, asking the Oklahoma Corrections Department to treat gender identity disorder. Jerry Massie, a spokesman for the department said inmates have received similar treatment in the past, according to The Oklahoman. However, a psychologist working at the male facility denied treatment for Darnell.
"No one is being treated in DOC for this, as far as I know," psychologist James Smash reportedly told Darnell. "I have given you my answer. Please do not ask me about this again." Smash did, however, advise the inmate to work up the administrative chain if she wanted to appeal the decision. Darnell requested to be transferred to another prison facility where she said other transgender inmates are incarcerated.
Darnell claims that being denied treatment subjects her to cruel and unusual punishment.
"They are denying me any kind of medical treatment at all for my serious medical need," Darnell wrote in a handwritten lawsuit. "I am female not a male. I was just born in the wrong body." Darnell added that being denied hormone treatment "has changed me in ways I do not like."
Darnell was convicted in 2005 for abducting and repeatedly raping a 13-year-old girl in 1997.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 7 min 25 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 16 min 19 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 58 min 54 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 59 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 3 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM