In Their Own Words: AIDS Fundraisers Share the Personal Stories that Motivate Them
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 4:05 PM ET
The 5K Concrete Hero obstacle course begins Sunday at L.A. LIVE and takes participants through the streets and alleyways of downtown. They'll leap over 26 parked cars and two buses in a “Carmageddon” pile-up, scale a 14-foot "Hollywood" sign, and swing over two bubbling “tar pits,” plus seven more obstacles.
“Nothing like Concrete Hero exists today,” says Craig E. Thompson, executive director at APLA. “Other obstacle challenges have been done in Southern California, but none have taken place right here in urban, downtown LA."
Funds raised go to APLA programs including its Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries, which distribute more than 150,000 bags of groceries annually to people facing HIV/AIDS and hunger, and APLA Dental Services, which offers more than 12,000 no- and low-cost dental procedures to restore the smiles of those who are HIV-positive but who often can't afford basic dental care.
Participants must raise the minimum of $400. All ages and athletic abilities are welcomed. For more information or to register or donate to Concrete Hero, visit www.concretehero.org or call 323-462-HERO (4376).
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 21 min 25 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM