ADAPs, NASTAD negotiate drug price freezes
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 24 2003 11:00 PM ET
State AIDS Drug Assistance Programs and the National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS Directors have negotiated a series of price freezes and rebates on anti-HIV medications from drugmakers Gilead Sciences, Abbott Laboratories, and Merck. The negotiations with the pharmaceutical companies began in April and were lead by NASTAD and officials from ADAPs in California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, and Texas. Those eight programs account for 75% of the $850 million spent annually on ADAP medications.
In March the ADAP officials reached an agreement with officials from Roche and Trimeris for price cuts on the companies' newly approved HIV fusion inhibitor Fuzeon. Savings secured from agreements with Gilead, Abbott, Merck, and Roche and Trimeris are expected to total about $25 million annually. Negotiations are continuing with Pfizer/Agouron, GlaxoSmithKline, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Boehringer Ingelheim.
"We remain hopeful that significant agreements can be completed with the remaining manufacturers," said NASTAD executive director Julie Scofield. "They account for over half the expenditures and need to be a part of the response to the crisis we face."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM