Presidential hopeful Kucinich would legalize medical marijuana
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
Democratic presidential candidate and congressman from Ohio Dennis Kucinich announced last week that if he is elected president, he would issue an executive order legalizing the use of medicinal marijuana to treat the symptoms of AIDS, cancer, and other serious illnesses. "I've talked to too many people who have had family members suffering from terminal illness who feel [medical marijuana] would provide them the most relief from pain and suffering," he said. "If a doctor makes that determination, or the patient asks for it, I think it ought to be permitted."
Kucinich is the only Democratic candidate to state his support for legalizing the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.), also a Democratic presidential hopeful, said he would not change the existing law but would set up a commission to study the medical effects of marijuana. Such use is legal in California and seven other states, but federal law prohibits the use of marijuana for any purpose. "My office would be involved in not only overturning the law but in facilitating the use of medical marijuana as an act of compassion and expression of humanity," Kucinich said.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion
- New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- Travel S.F. Getting Its Own Rainbow Crosswalks 12 min 46 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 2 22 min 50 sec ago
- Media New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks 24 min 57 sec ago
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 51 min 19 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 58 min 46 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 1 hour 4 min ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 1 hour 6 min ago